Being A Girl...
From the hands of my friend Naina Bansal...
Being A Girl...
- I considered myself really lucky to be a girl unaware of the fact that Indian Society is unfortunately not for the girls…
- When I was 9, I was taught how to talk politely as that is how a girl is supposed to talk…
- When I was 13, I was told, “You’re growing up now… you shouldn’t wear such kind of dresses...”
- When I was 15, I was asked to not let any guy come close to me as it would send a wrong message about me to the “society”
- When I was 18, I was trained not to argue with an elderly person because it would show disrespect towards them.
16th December, 2012, Delhi Case, a very crucial case that has brought lots of things in sight first being, Are girls safe in India?
Lots of people blamed the victim for her own assault claiming that “IT
WAS WRONG FOR A GIRL TO BE OUT LATE NIGHT” In many states, there were
talks about imposing restrictions on girls being out at late night.
Well, if that was the real reason then registered rape cases would have
been reduced by three forth of the present number since most of the rape
cases are during daytime. At home, at workplace, at train, and many
more places. So a girl is neither safe during day nor during night,
neither at home nor outside.
Next set of people claimed improper wearing of clothes to be the reason
to make a boy become a monster. Then, why are girls below 10 years being
assaulted? Is it really the clothes that can make any boy commit a
crime?
The funniest reason ever told for these cases was fast food. Wow! Well, this was the only thing left…
Lots
of married women are raped everyday by their so-called husband but
there again, she is not supposed to speak out since “The husband has the
right to do so” and where would she go leaving her husband?
Indian
society blamed everything from the girl to the food that we eat but no
one thought about the real reason being the discrimination between boys
and girls. Our society longs for a boy because he is the “waris” of the
family. A boy is given all sorts of freedom from going late at nights,
drinking, partying, wearing anything, behaving anyhow, in short, living
his life in his own terms. But a girl is trained to live her life in
everyone’s terms except hers. And if a girl is partying late at night,
she doesn’t have a “good character”.
A victimized girl is always looked down in our society as if she is the
one who had committed a crime. No one would want her to make the “bahu”
of the household since she has lost her “respect”. This is India!
We
are educated people. If we too behave in this way then what would be
the difference between us and the ones who cannot even sympathize forget
about understanding what a victim goes through. We will lead the new
India. Can’t we take a small step in not discriminating between a boy
and girl and respect them equally? If every girl is taught why can’t a
boy be taught too about how important a girl’s respect is? Is she not a
human? Can’t we teach a boy on how to behave with a girl?
Being a girl… am I lucky or unlucky?
think over it for a while...
ankit sharma


0 comments:
Post a Comment